Saturday, October 6, 2007

Crepes

When I was little (maybe 10 or 11?) My neighbor Janeen Nelson taught me to make these. She used a recipe from our Ward Cookbook. Since I happen to have my own personal copy of said cookbook, I still use the same recipe she used. In our book it's called "Swedish Pancakes". And it recommends topping with powdered sugar and that's it! Talk about BORING!!! Anyway, this is my most requested recipe because these are so darn easy and good. And because everyone loves eating breakfast for dessert...and vice versa.

So, have a Crêpe party and be sure to send me fan mail when you suddenly have tons more friends. (Don't blame me if they're just using you for your edibles.) Here goes...

Crêpes
Combine in a batter bowl in this order: (if you add flour first you will have lumps)
2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
Stir until perfectly smooth. (Some people like to do this step in the blender, but I find adding the milk to the bowl first and using a hand mixer works just fine.)
Next add:
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Beat thoroughly. Pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter into pre-heated pan. (I usually have the stove on Medium. Make sure the pan is non-stick or have "Pam" on hand if you need it.) Tilt pan so it spreads out thin and forms a circle to the edge of the pan. Cook until edges start to look rubbery. Loosen edges. Turn.

It will be pretty well cooked, so it only needs to stay on the second side a little longer. I usually turn the oven on "warm" and pile them on a plate in there until we're ready to eat. No need to separate with parchment. They come apart easily.



Friends over for Dinner Recipe
6 cups milk
6 cups flour
3 tsp salt
12 eggs
¾ cup sugar
Feed an Army Recipe
8 cups milk
8 cups flour
Heaping tbsp salt
16 eggs
1 cup sugar

Serve Sweet:
Nutella, Peanut Butter, Strawberries, Strawberry Jam, Bananas, Lemon Curd, Applesauce, Berries, Whipped Cream or Spray Whip, Ice Cream, Powdered Sugar, Sugar and Lemon Juice, Whipped Cream Cheese, and if you really want to go all out: Ice Cream and Hot Fudge.
Or Savory: (Une Crêpe savory or Galette)
Eggs, Bacon, Ham, Cheese, Skillet Potatoes, Avocado, Roasted Squash, Mushrooms, Hollandaise Sauce

2 comments:

Cari said...

That's too funny....my mom still has that cookbook and I still make these all the time!

Lyana said...

I finally found them!!!