Friday, February 5, 2010

Cousin Kimmy's Caramel Syrup and Food Truck Coconut Syrup

This recipe makes my in-laws like me better and my whole family loves it a double billion times better than the cheapy imitation maple from the grocery store.

Cousin Kimmy's Caramel Syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I've used all brown before. Same diff.)
1/2 cup water
1 cube butter

Stirring frequently, bring all ingredients to boil and remove from heat. It will boil up and over fast so keep an eye on it.
Then add:

1 tsp vanilla

Incredibly unhealthy and delicious on German Pancakes and French Toast!!!!

Recipe from my cousin Kimmy. Maker of all things sweet and delicious.

And now for a BONUS SYRUP RECIPE!!!

So there was this lady I met while standing in line at the Waffle Love Food Truck in Utah many summers ago who told me about an amazing recipe for homemade Coconut Syrup that she had somehow stolen from the neighboring French Toast Food Truck. I told her I had to have it.

This is that recipe:

Food Truck Lady's Coconut Syrup
1/2 Cup (1 cube) butter
3/4 C. Buttermilk (or milk with a little lemon squeezed in.)
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda (I use a little less because I don't want to taste it.)
1 tsp. coconut extract

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add baking soda and extract, stirring constantly. It will bubble up, so if your pot is small, hold it over the sink to avoid spillage. Continue to stir syrup and let is rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve over almost any breakfast food.

Post Script: After typing that recipe,  I think next time I will make it with Coconut milk instead of Buttermilk and leave out the baking soda. I don't need the excitement of a science fair volcano early in the morning--I just need to eat. Once I try it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: