Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Pan Fried Pork Chops

My mom spent 28+ years making large meals for her large family, frequent visitors and multitudinous house guests. When I was 16, my parents separated and the two of us left Utah and moved to Carlsbad, CA where I finished High School. (I was the last kid left at home.)

At that point, she was over it. No more big meals to feed hoards. There were frequent "Cereal Nights" (no objections from me--I love cold cereal) and simple meals like these Fried Pork Chops with Apple Sauce and a salad or baked potato on the side. Simple and delicious. I loved Pork Chop Night whenever it came around. (Which was whenever pork chops were on sale because #FaeWasABargainShopper.)

When I went on-line to find an actual recipe, I discovered it's basically exactly what I thought it was. A really thin pork chop in flour and salt. Pioneer Woman adds a little Cayenne but this is basically how my mom did it:

Pan Fried Pork Chops 
by Pioneer Woman and Fae B. Call

Ingredients
or 8 pieces breakfast chops (very thin bone-in pork chops)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt or seasoned salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 c. canola (or Olive or Avo) oil
1 tbsp. butter 

Extra salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients. Dredge each side of the pork chops in the flour mixture, then set aside on a plate.
  3. Heat canola oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter. When butter is melted and butter/oil mixture is hot, cook 3 pork chops at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side; 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. (Make sure no pink juices remain.) Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining pork chops. Delicious and simple! Serve with Apple Sauce or smashed new potatoes.

No comments: